Interested in learning more about Esports at NEIA?
Contact Alex at email@example.com.
Esports, short for electronic sports, is a form of competitive video gaming where players or teams compete against each other in organized competitions. These competitions can take place online or offline and can be organized by game developers, publishers, or independent tournament organizers. Esports has grown in popularity in recent years, drawing in large audiences on streaming platforms and even being considered for inclusion in the Olympics. From the exciting performances and storylines in competition to the simpler friendships that develop through just simply playing with each other online, there’s something special about having this medium to bond over.
NEIA has entered the esports arena with a focus on the popular game Valorant. Developed by Riot Games, the creators of League of Legends, Valorant combines elements of tactical shooters and unique character abilities to create a free-to-play game that has garnered significant interest and success. As of 2023, Valorant is among the top 5 most viewed games on streaming platforms such as YouTube and Twitch, and tournaments like VCT draw in millions of viewers. NEIA hosts explorations and team practices for those interested in esports and emphasizes the many benefits that gaming can bring.
There are several reasons why grade 6-12 students should consider participating in esports:
- Improved cognitive skills: Esports can help improve hand-eye coordination, focus, and decision-making skills, which can be beneficial for students in the classroom.
- Teamwork and communication: Esports often involve playing on a team, which can help students develop important teamwork and communication skills.
- Increased engagement: Esports can be a way for students to engage with technology and gaming in a positive and productive way, and it can also help to keep them motivated and interested in school.
- Potential career opportunities: With the growth of the esports industry, there are an increasing number of career opportunities in areas such as game development, event management, and broadcasting.
- Socialization and friendship: Esports is a great way to connect with peers who share similar interests and can be a great way to socialize and make friends.
- Healthy competition: Esports can be a fun and healthy way to channel competitive energy and can help students develop important skills like sportsmanship and resilience.
NEIA esports is led by Alexander Yu, who states, “Especially with more tactical games such as Valorant, it teaches the players to utilize their brain more when introduced to unique situations. Gaming itself is innately fun and entertaining, with the ability to create a deeper bond with peers of similar interests. This is really shown through our innovators that are part of our esports program.”